Call ProMaster Home Repair & Handyman of Cincinnati at (513) 322-2914 or visit www.MasterMyList.com for help with your termite damage repair today!
How Wood Rot Can Cause Termite Damage
Termites are nasty home invaders that have no interest in bothering humans. Their lives are completely separated from ours. They don't need our food scraps, our bodies, or our pets but they do love wood rot. That's the problem with termites- you never know they are in your home! You will find out quickly if you have bed bugs, ants, fleas, or cockroaches but termites may be feasting on your home unnoticed for years.
Video on Termite Damage and Wood Rot Repair
We recently visited a home who scheduled a siding replacement but upon inspection it was found the home had wood rot and been a termite food fest for quite some time. The unnoticed nature of the infestation caused extensive repairs to be needed. The damage was so bad, termites began eating the foot of a wooden chair after they made their way through the subfloor!! Below we will explore (with pictures and video) the causes and extent of termite damage and how to repair.
Wood Rot Attracts TermitesWood is rich in cellulose, the food source of termites. The attractiveness of the wood is increased by the presence of moisture which causes wood rot. Removing moisture away from your home- especially the foundation- can help you prevent termite problems. In the home we repaired, there was significant wood rot that attracted the termites which were caused by two major factors: 1.) The foundation was too close to the ground and 2.) The slope of the yard was not significant enough. These two issues combined to cause excess water during storms to flow towards the house and soak the wood at the base of the wood. It was a perfect storm for wood rot and an all-you-can-eat buffet for the termites!
To Prevent Termites
Follow these basic steps to prevent wood rot and eliminate moisture from your home:
- Divert water from foundation
- Make sure gutters and drains are clean and work properly
- Repair any leaking pipes, faucets, or A/C units
- Seal any possible entry points for water around pipes and utility lines
- Remove potential food sources from around foundation (firewood, stumps, etc...)
Repairing Termite Damage
The first step to repairing termite damage is to remove the colony from your home. To do this, call a professional in your area. The job requires the use of many chemicals that should only be handled by those certified to do so. After the termite colony has successfully been exterminated, wood rot should be removed and replaced. In some cases, such as the video below, damage occurs on main support joists of the house. The wood on these cannot be removed due to the support they provide. An alternative in this case is to provide additional beams along the termite damaged wood to improve the strength of the support joists.
In the home we fixed multiple areas were affected by termite damage. Damaged wood had to be removed and replaced in the following places:
- Band board (added rot and bug resistant PVC)
- Main support joists
- Sub flooring
As you can see that is a very extensive repair, so keeping an eye out for termites is a good idea! Keeping reading to learn how to identify a termite infestation.
How to Spot Signs of Termites
If you may be worried you have termites, there are a few simple cues of an active termite colony. A quick survey of your property should be able to tell you if you have an infestation but as always, contact a professional to take a look if you aren't sure.
If you notice any of these issues, you may have termites:
- A swarm of winged insects in your home or in the soil surrounding your home
- Cracked or bubbling paint
- Termite droppings
- Hollow sounding wood
- Mud tubes (act as termite highways)
Treatment for Termites
I hope this post has shed some like on the silent home assassins. If you notice any of the warning signs in your home, contact a professional exterminator immediately to stop any further damage. If you have noticed any wood rot but have thankfully been saved from termites for now, then call a local home repair company like ProMaster at 513-322-2914. We can replace the wood rot and fix the cause so you keep your house dry and insect free!
Why Call ProMaster to Solve My Termite Damage Problem?
- On Time: We show up at your home when you want us to. Not a "range of time." If you say "8:30AM" ... IT IS 8:30AM.
- Family-Friendly: All of our craftsmen are rigorously background-checked and drug-tested. Clean-cut, uniformed, professional employees will respect you, your family, pets and home.
- We hire EMPLOYEES, NOT subcontractors.
- Fully insured - And we prove it by sending you our liability, work comp and insurance certificates BEFORE we step onto your property.
- 1-year warranty on our work.
- Versatile - Multi-disciplined trade craftsmen can handle almost all of your home repair and remodeling needs. No need to find multiple contractors to get a project done or problem resolved!
- Trustworthy - Veteran-owned and operated. A+ BBB Rating. A-Rating on Angie's List.
ProMaster Service AreaProMaster serves the entire Cincinnati Metro Area and Northern Kentucky.
- Ohio: Amelia, Anderson, Batavia, Blue Ash, Cincinnati, Colerain, Deer Park, Delhi, Fairfield, Forest Park, Hyde Park, Indian Hill, Kenwood, Kings Mills, Liberty Township, Loveland, Madeira, Maineville, Mariemont, Mason, Milford, Montgomery, Newtown, Norwood, Sharonville, Silverton, South Lebanon, Springdale, Sycamore, Terrace Park, West Chester, Western Hills, Wyoming.
- Kentucky: Alexandria, Bellevue, Cold Spring, Covington, Crestview Hills, Edgewood, Erlanger, Florence, Fort Mitchell, Fort Thomas, Hebron, Highland Heights, Independence, Newport, Villa Hills.
Need Proof that ProMaster is the Best?
Skeptical? ... GOOD!
You should be. Home repair and remodeling contractors typically rank at the top of the list when it comes to Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General complaints.
Make sure to check out anyone before inviting them to your home for a repair or remodeling project. ProMaster is proud of its reputation and is confident that when you see the evidence for yourself, you will want to have one of our Home Repair Heroes accomplish your project today!
See for yourself...
- BBB Accredited Business
- "A" Rating on Angie's List; 4X Super Service Award Winner
- Recognized by Cincy Magazine as a top 40 Cincinnati businesses for 2010
- Preferred provider for Sibcy-Cline Home Services and Coldwell Banker Concierge
- Member of the Greater Cincinnati and Clermont County Chambers of Commerce
- Winner of the Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce's "10 Under 10" award in 2012
- National industry leader - Remodeling Magazine's "Big 50 Award" for 2012
Whether your project is small or large in scope, and regardless of what trade it requires, when you work with ProMaster you receive:
- Comfort of speaking with someone when you call - not an answering machine
- Assurance that your craftsman arrive on time to a specific scheduled appointment
- Respect for your home or business and its contents
- Confidence of being charged fairly with the amount disclosed up front
- Reassurance of a one-year warranty on all work performed
- Relief that your craftsman it is a fully vetted, clean cut, expert
- Peace of mind that our company is properly bonded and insured
- Confidence that work will be performed with safety in mind
- Advantage of paying for a small project after the work is done
- Certainty that your project gets done correctly the first time
Contact ProMaster today!To contact us, either reply to this posting, visit www.MasterMyList.com
or call us at (513) 322-2914
• Post ID: 34957062 cincinnati