Do Your Windows Leak During Rain?Call ProMaster Home Repair & Handyman of Cincinnati at (513) 322-2914 or visit www.MasterMyList.com for help with your window leak today!
Window Leak Diagnosis and RepairHere at ProMaster Home Repair & Handyman of Cincinnati, we've seen an alarming trend of homeowners reporting window leaks. These leaks often result from improperly installed windows or poor home construction techniques that prompt the need for expensive, premature repairs. The following article reveals the warning signs that every homeowner can use to determine if they have a serious window leak.
Watch Video on Window Leaks
Tell Tale Signs of a Leaking WindowVisible moisture on the interior of your home in the vicinity of a window is a rather obvious sign of a window leak. But often there are more insidious window leaks who symptoms take far longer to spot. Unfortunately, these symptoms arise after significant damage has occurred. The following pictures and description will help you spot those problems before they can cost your thousands of dollars in preventable home repairs.
Do These Window Leak Symptoms Look Familiar?If any of these pictures look familiar, don't panic. A good home repair professional can isolate and eliminate the source of the leak and repair the resulting water damage. But time is of the essence! Mold growth, wood rot, drywall and insulation damage as well as structural problems may result by delaying the repair.
Case Study on the Damage from a Window LeakTo illustrate how a small, insidious window leak can cause enormous frustration for a homeowner, let's examine a case study from a recent client that we helped in Amelia, Ohio--a suburb of Cincinnati. This home was about 8 years old, and like many tract homes built in the Cincinnati area, have 2-story great rooms with windows composing much of the exterior wall. While this is a wonderful architectural feature, the vinyl siding and construction techniques used in these homes do not generally prevent a large wall of windows like this from leaking.
Click thumbnail for a larger image
The homeowner reports fighting window leaks in this part of the home since shortly after purchase, and indicates that the builder could not resolve the problem. In addition, her neighbors are experiencing similar problems. While one can't automatically conclude that there is a common building defect in these homes, it is a clue that should lead any home repair professional toward examining the flashing or window installation quality.
Window Leaks Often the Result of Inferior ConstructionIn the case of this homeowner, her window leaks are the result of improperly flashed windows and the absence of house wrap. Flashing is simply material used to shed water away from areas particularly vulnerable to water intrusion. House wrap is just what it sounds like--a material that covers the wood sheeting and prevents any water that sneaks in behind the brick or siding from soaking the wood it "wraps." From the pictures you can see how the absence of proper window flashing and house wrap has allowed the water to penetrate and rot out the wood around the windows while causing significant drywall and insulation damage. More alarming is the mold growth on the wood framing and drywall around the windows inside the home. Aside from the annoyance of water coming in the home during a rain storm, mold growth presents an unacceptable health concern to the family living inside.
If You Suspect a Window LeakIf you suspect or witness a window leak, there are several things you can do to assist your home repair professional with diagnosing and resolving the problem. During the next rain event, ask yourself the following questions and note your observations:
- Does the window always leak when it rains? Or does it only leak during a heavy rain shower?
- Does the window leak when the rain is being driven by wind from a particular direction?
- How long has the window been leaking? Can you identify any event associated with the first time you noticed the window leak? (i.e. significant storm, ice event, extreme winds, etc.)
- Has the window leak worsened? Or has it remained consistent over time?
- Have you attempted to stop the leak? If so, what has been done? Has that helped?
- If you can obtain this information, find out who built your home and when it was constructed.
Why Call ProMaster to Solve My Window Problem?
- On Time: We show up at your home when you want us to. Not a "range of time." If you say "8:30AM" ... IT IS 8:30AM.
- Family-Friendly: All of our craftsmen are rigorously background-checked and drug-tested. Clean-cut, uniformed, professional employees will respect you, your family, pets and home.
- We hire EMPLOYEES, NOT subcontractors.
- Fully insured - And we prove it by sending you our liability, work comp and insurance certificates BEFORE we step onto your property.
- 1-year warranty on our work.
- Versatile - Multi-disciplined trade craftsmen can handle almost all of your home repair and remodeling needs. No need to find multiple contractors to get a project done or problem resolved!
- Trustworthy - Veteran-owned and operated. A+ BBB Rating. A-Rating on Angie's List.
ProMaster Service AreaProMaster serves the entire Cincinnati Metro Area and Northern Kentucky.
- Ohio: Amelia, Anderson, Batavia, Blue Ash, Cincinnati, Colerain, Deer Park, Delhi, Fairfield, Forest Park, Hyde Park, Indian Hill, Kenwood, Kings Mills, Liberty Township, Loveland, Madeira, Maineville, Mariemont, Mason, Milford, Montgomery, Newtown, Norwood, Sharonville, Silverton, South Lebanon, Springdale, Sycamore, Terrace Park, West Chester, Western Hills, Wyoming.
- Kentucky: Alexandria, Bellevue, Cold Spring, Covington, Crestview Hills, Edgewood, Erlanger, Florence, Fort Mitchell, Fort Thomas, Hebron, Highland Heights, Independence, Newport, Villa Hills.
Need Proof that ProMaster is the Best?
Skeptical? ... GOOD!
You should be. Home repair and remodeling contractors typically rank at the top of the list when it comes to Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General complaints.
Make sure to check out anyone before inviting them to your home for a repair or remodeling project. ProMaster is proud of its reputation and is confident that when you see the evidence for yourself, you will want to have one of our Home Repair Heroes accomplish your project today!
See for yourself...
- BBB Accredited Business
- "A" Rating on Angie's List; 4X Super Service Award Winner
- Recognized by Cincy Magazine as a top 40 Cincinnati businesses for 2010
- Preferred provider for Sibcy-Cline Home Services and Coldwell Banker Concierge
- Member of the Greater Cincinnati and Clermont County Chambers of Commerce
- Winner of the Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce's "10 Under 10" award in 2012
- National industry leader - Remodeling Magazine's "Big 50 Award" for 2012
Whether your project is small or large in scope, and regardless of what trade it requires, when you work with ProMaster you receive:
- Comfort of speaking with someone when you call - not an answering machine
- Assurance that your craftsman arrive on time to a specific scheduled appointment
- Respect for your home or business and its contents
- Confidence of being charged fairly with the amount disclosed up front
- Reassurance of a one-year warranty on all work performed
- Relief that your craftsman it is a fully vetted, clean cut, expert
- Peace of mind that our company is properly bonded and insured
- Confidence that work will be performed with safety in mind
- Advantage of paying for a small project after the work is done
- Certainty that your project gets done correctly the first time
Contact ProMaster today!To contact us, either reply to this posting, visit www.MasterMyList.com
or call us at (513) 322-2914
• Post ID: 34269315 cincinnati