Posted: Friday, September 8, 2017 9:51 PM
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is currently recruiting for a Staff Mechanical Design Engineer â Robotics R&D, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologiesâincluding sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devicesâthat are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, womenâs health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Design Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team based environment. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
The Staff Mechanical Design Engineer, R&D will
- You will work with internal and external teams to develop surgical instruments to interface with a novel surgical robot.
- You will work on the definition, design, development, implementation, and robotic integration of these key surgical instruments.
- You must be able to collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market.
- You will be responsible for the design of systems, sub-systems, and/or components for a medical device as part of a New Product Development team and be involved in all phases of new product development from product concept through commercial launch (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify & Validate)
- You will work one-on-one with internal & external customer stakeholders (manufacturing, quality, marketing, packaging, labeling, regulatory, biocompatibility, surgeons, medical staff, etc.) to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions. Interpret Voice of the Customer (VOC) to define technical design requirements.
- You will perform detailed design analysis to achieve product design requirements and innovative design solutions (through product requirement management and risk management or FMEA).
- You will formalize concepts through use of breadboards & prototyping, establish appropriate testing strategy, & perform product testing to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- You will participate in project management activities of developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- You will require outstanding leadership capabilities with the innate talent to work in a cross-functional team environment. Key skills are effective team interpersonal skills, conflict analysis & resolution, ability to adapt to shifting priorities, ability to handle rapid pace environment, ability to resolve problems / conflicts, and ability to take initiative & be self-managing.
- You will mentor junior level engineers
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or a related science/engineering degree, is required
- A minimum of 8 years of experience designing, developing, and launching products in a team-based environment is required.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills - The ability to develop and utilize free body diagrams, 3D CAD models, FMEAâs (failure modes & effects analysis), GD&T (geometric dimensioning & tolerancing), tolerance analysis, DOEâs (design of experiments), DFM/A (design for manufacturing/assembly), simulated use testing, statistical analysis are required. FEA (finite element analysis) is preferred.
- Experience in product requirements management and risk management (ability to translate high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact) is required
- Strong understanding of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation is required.
- Experience in building prototypes, products, and systems for testing & experience developing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports is required.
- Demonstrated collaboration and teaming skills to work with internal cross-functional partners and/or outside suppliers, contractors, or consultants is required.
- Demonstrated track record of design tradeoff decisions, ability to resolve problems and/or conflicts, ability to adapt to shifting priorities, and ability to take initiative & be self-managing is required.
- Demonstrated track record as leader of design teams with a significant role in project management of design activities is required.
- Experience with medical regulatory requirements is preferred
- Regulated industry experience is required.
- Six Sigma green/black belt certification is preferred
- This position is based in Cincinnati, OH and will require up to 20% travel.
Specific Experience preferred:
- Lead the design and development of the sterilization tray with external vendor
- Develop, communicate, and cascade cleaning and sterilization requirements to all reusable tool teams (internal systems engineering focus)
- Run engineering studies / feasibility studies on the tools to establish feasibility of alternate methods of cleaning
- Lead cleaning and sterilization testing on reusable tools throughout prototyping cycles
- Develop market research studies and engage in cleaning & sterilization customer visits
- Make recommendations on partnership possibilities for ultrasonic cleaners and automatic washers (AWDs) vendors
- Initiate development of parameter identification for cleaning of the tool teams through testing iterations
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Click here for more info: https://jnjc.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=9380170830&lang=en
• Location: Cincinnati
• Post ID: 49053332 cincinnati